“We were the first to assert that the more complicated the forms assumed by civilization, the more restricted the freedom of the individual must become.”
In February 2019, John Cornyn weirdly tweeted this quote by Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini to criticize rising Democratic star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. It’s just one example of Cornyn’s tendency to mimic Donald Trump’s worst instincts and shows just how far the national Republican Party has fallen.
Cornyn has steadfastly stood by Trump, voting with Trump 95% of the time.
Unsurprisingly, John Cornyn’s human rights record and views are hopelessly outdated. A longtime opponent of women’s right to choose and LGBTQ rights, it’s no surprise that Cornyn was an early endorser of Alabama’s Roy Moore, undeterred by Moore’s statements that homosexual conduct should be illegal or that Muslims should not be allowed to take federal office.
Even more recently, John Cornyn co-sponsored a bill to legalize discrimination against LGBTQ Americans. Similarly reckless with women’s rights, John Cornyn opposition to women’s health care access has earned him a 0% score from NARAL Pro-Choice America.
The environment is also on the chopping block for John Cornyn. He’s received more than $3.5 million dollars in campaign contributions from the oil and gas industries and is a consistent roadblock to advancing legislation to address the climate crisis. The Green New Deal was a “solution in search of a problem” to John Cornyn. He was one of the senators to urge President Trump to pull out of the Paris Climate Accords and holds a pathetic 5% lifetime rating from the League of Conservation Voters.
Senator Cornyn staunchly supports tax handouts for millionaires and billionaires. His leadership in passing the GOP tax overwhelmingly benefited the rich and powerful while accelerating the federal deficit. With recession signals mounting, this reckless decision puts America in jeopardy should we fall into an economic downturn.
John Cornyn is a dogmatic Trump-loyalist who is out-of-touch with the needs and values of modern Texas. In 2020, Texas can choose a new path by defeating John Cornyn.
Vote Record Hall of Shame
- Voted against banning discrimination against LGBTQ employees (S.B. 81, 2013)
- Voted to make abortion after 5 months punishable by up to five years in prison (H.R. 36, 2017)
- Voted against expanding background checks to purchase guns (S. Amdt 4750, 2016)
- Voted against authorizing the Attorney General to deny the transfer of a firearm to a known or suspected terrorist (S. Amdt 4720, 2016)
- Voted for the GOP tax scam, a deficit-busting giveaway to multi-national corporations and the super rich that makes our country unprepared for future economic downturns (H.R. 1, 2017)
- Voted against a reserve fund for paid sick leave for American families (S. Amdt 798, 2015)
Lifetime Report Cards
- Anti-Workers’ Rights: AFL-CIO: 9%
- Anti-Environment: League of Conservation Voters: 5%
- Anti-Gun Safety: NRA: 100%