Senator Steve Daines of Montana would like you to believe he’s a moderate who is willing to reach across the aisle.
Hogwash, we say.
The truth is that Daines is just another out-of-touch Republican beholden to corporate interests – a loyal foot soldier in Trump’s army who has voted with the President in every major piece of legislation since 2016. In fact, at a fundraiser in February, he told the pro-Trump audience that his seat “is the firewall for freedom” that will allow the Republicans to maintain control of the Senate. That’s the freedom to take away our health care and block laws to prevent voter suppression.
Speaking of walls, guess who wants one? Daines is a big supporter of an unfocused border wall, no matter how expensive or unnecessary. He was one of the 41 Republicans who voted in favor of Trump’s emergency declaration to secure funding for the project – a national emergency so threatening that Trump recently concluded a photo op at the border followed by a big ticket fundraiser in Beverly Hills.
Montana is a state full of natural beauty, and Daines talks a good game when it comes to the environment, but like the rest of his schtick, it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. His lifetime scorecard with the League of Conservation Voters jumped to a whopping 4% in 2018, up from 2% the previous year, placing him in the elite company of noted climate change denier Ted Cruz.
He’s also a lifetime member of the NRA, whose most recent accomplishment was getting almost all House Republicans to vote against the Violence Against Women Act because it prevented domestic abusers and stalkers from procuring a gun. The NRA has rewarded his loyalty with their highest honor – an A+ rating. When Delta and United Airlines decided to stop offering discounted fares to NRA members following the tragic Parkland shooting in Florida, he took to Twitter to announce he was boycotting both carriers!
One issue that he’s uncharacteristically transparent about is abortion, and – spoiler alert – he’s unambiguously anti-choice. He boasts a perfect 0% lifetime rating from both Planned Parenthood and NARAL.
Daines’ hardline immigration rhetoric and opposition to women’s health make him out of step with the live and let live spirit of Montana. By 2020, voters in Montana can chart a different course into the great wide open, and Flip the West is here to help.
Vote Record Hall of Shame
- Voted to make abortion after 5 months punishable by up to five years in prison (H.R. 36, 2017)
- Voted against expanding background checks to purchase guns (S. Amdt 4750, 2016)
- Voted against authorizing the Attorney General to deny the transfer of a firearm to a known or suspected terrorist (S. Amdt 4720, 2016)
- Voted for the GOP tax scam, a deficit-busting giveaway to multi-national corporations and the super rich that makes our country unprepared for future economic downturns (H.R. 1, 2017)
- Voted against a reserve fund for paid sick leave for American families (S. Amdt 798, 2015)
Lifetime Report Cards
- Anti-Workers’ Rights: AFL-CIO: 13%
- Anti-Environment: League of Conservation Voters: 4%
- Anti-Gun Safety: NRA: 86%