“A mistake … a failure of leadership … we believed he’d be a statesman … a political time-server interested only in professional security … we regret giving him our support.”
Those are just a few of the choice words reserved for Senator Cory Gardner when the Denver Post editorial board blasted him for voting for a constitutional crisis over a Trump speech talking point: the Wall ™.
Courage isn’t defined by what we do in normal times, but what we do when everything we care for is threatened. Cory Gardner has failed to be a leader in the Trump era, becoming one of Trump’s most reliable rubber stamps despite finding Trump disqualifying during the presidential primary.
This acquiescence to corruption, erraticism, and fear – “a loyal soldier in Trump’s Senate army” – has made him the most vulnerable Senator in 2020. In 2014, a banner year for Senate Republicans, Gardner narrowly defeated Democratic incumbent Tom Udall by less than 40,000 votes, 48%-46%, with more than 2 million votes cast. He ran as a moderate, but his record tells a different story.
Gardner is out of step with the challenges we face today. He voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act and all the protections it contains and opposes LGBTQ equality. He’s not even sure if humans contribute to climate change. With a record like that, it’s not surprising he only has a 10% lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters.
Hitting close to home, Gardner has been widely criticized for failing to protect Colorado wilderness, especially important in the Trump era where all land is vulnerable to exploitation by the highest bidder. As one of his likely opponents noted, “He is the only Colorado senator in 50 years – from either party – to fail to support legislation that would protect public lands in Colorado.”
With a 100% rating from the Koch Brothers-backed Americans for Prosperity, and having served as the Chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, he’ll be able to raise unlimited money for his reelection and can count on a lot of seven and eight figure checks coming his way in outside spending.
Colorado is ripe for a Democratic victory in 2020, but it’s going to take a broad coalition of field-focused activists to make it happen. Flip the West is proud to be part of this important effort.
Vote Record Hall of Shame
- Voted against banning discrimination against LGBTQ employees (S.B. 81, 2013)
- Voted to make abortion after 5 months punishable by up to five years in prison (H.R. 36, 2017)
- Voted against expanding background checks to purchase guns (S. Amdt 4750, 2016)
- Voted against authorizing the Attorney General to deny the transfer of a firearm to a known or suspected terrorist (S. Amdt 4720, 2016)
- Voted for the GOP tax scam, a deficit-busting giveaway to multi-national corporations and the super rich that makes our country unprepared for future economic downturns (H.R. 1, 2017)
- Voted against a reserve fund for paid sick leave for American families (S. Amdt 798, 2015)
Lifetime Report Cards
- Anti-Workers’ Rights: AFL-CIO: 9%
- Anti-Environment: League of Conservation Voters: 10%
- Anti-Gun Safety: NRA: 93%